Hello, welcome to Losing Weight With Pat. Today’s topic is on supplements to help you lose weight.
I’ve never been too crazy about supplements, but I have had some questions like, can supplements help with weight loss? What kind of supplements are the best? Are supplements safe to take?
To tell you the truth, I think you are better off just eating right and doing your exercises.
I’m writing this post for those that would like to take supplements because they just don’t have time to eat the right foods. So, I’m going to give you what I think are the Top 10 supplements you should be taking.
“Warning: Supplements, just like other pills should be taken sparingly. If not sure about a certain Supplements, you should first see a physician. Know the side effects”.
With that said, here are my top 10 supplements.
My Top 10 Weight Loss Supplements
01) Hydroxycut-This supplement has been around for about a decade. Hydroxycut is probably one of the most popular supplements in the world. They do have several types. The most common is just what the name says, Hydroxycut.
They claim to have several ingredients in this that will help with weight loss. A few of them are caffeine and a few plant extracts. Some studies have shown that this supplement can help you lose up to 21 lbs over 3 months.
I drink coffee all the time so the side effect might not do much to me. So if you are not used to caffeine I would be careful taking this supplement. It can cause anxiety, jitteriness, tremors, nausea, diarrhea, and irritability.
02) Chitosan-Chitosan is a sugar that comes from hard outer layers of lobsters, crabs, and shrimp. Studies have shown that this supplement can block absorption of fats and cholesterol.
Studies have shown a mixed review of either this supplement works or not. Chitosan is said not to really have any side effects. But some people have claimed to have an upset stomach.
03) Whey Protein-This supplement is mainly for building muscle. But this supplement can suppress your appetite. So you will likely not eat as much. But remember, though, having more muscle helps with weight loss.
Try not to take high doses of this supplement. Doing so can have some side effects such as increased bowel movements, nausea, thirst, bloating, cramps, reduced appetite, tiredness, and headaches.
04) Orlistat (Alli)-This supplement is sold over the counter under the name Alli. You can get a prescription for this supplement. It will be under Xenical.
This weight loss pill will break down fat in the gut, making you take in fewer calories from fat. Orlistat can increase weight loss by 6 pounds compared to a dummy pill. Other benefits are that this supplement can reduce blood pressure slightly and reduced the risk of developing type 1 diabetes by 37%.
Orlistat has many digestive side effects including loose, oily stools, flatulence, frequent bowel movement that are hard to control, and others.
05) Green Tea Extract-This supplements are supposed to curb appetite and raise calorie and fat metabolism. However, there is not enough evidence to rate the effectiveness of green tea for weight loss.
There are side effects to green tea extract, especially in high amounts. They include nausea, vomiting, bloating, gas, diarrhea, dizziness, insomnia, agitation.
06) Glucomannan-This supplement is from an Asian plant called Konjac. Glucomannan is a fiber considered extremely effective for diabetes and blood sugar control. Also, can help with weight loss.
This fiber supplement helps absorb water in the digestive tract, reducing cholesterol and carbohydrate absorption and can help with obesity treatment.
This supplement as uncomfortable side effects which include gas, bloating, nausea, abdominal pain, and diarrhea.
07) Raspberry Ketones-This is a substance found in raspberries. This is sold as a weight loss supplement. In rats, Raspberry Ketones increase the breakdown of fat and increase levels of a hormone called adiponectin, which is believed related to weight loss.
The studies of this supplement have never been used on humans. In Rats, though, with high doses, it can reduce weight gain.
The only real side effects are that when you burp, your burp may smell like raspberries.
08) Guar Gum– This supplement comes from the seed of the guar plant. This is said to work by preventing the absorption of fats and helping you feel full. This supplement can work, but most researchers have argued that it is ineffective.
The side effects may include gas and diarrhea.
09) Mango Seed Fiber-This fiber comes from the African mango tree. In Africa, they use this for weight loss.So if they use it, then it should work for us. This supplement is popular either alone or with other dietary supplements.
Also, the Africans use Mango seed for natural antibiotic and a pain reliever. This supplement is currently being studied to either this will work for weight loss or not.
I really couldn’t find any side effects for the Mango Seed.
10) Forskolin-This supplement is extracted from a plant in the mint family. Forskolin is claimed to be effective for losing weight. This supplement can raise levels of a compound inside cells called cAMP, which can help with burning fat.
Studies have shown that in overweight and obese men that Forskolinreduced body fat and increased muscle mass while having no effect on body weight. In women, it has shown no effects.
As far as side effects, there is limited data on the safety of this supplement.
My Final Words
To some this post may be a blessing, you are saying to yourself, “yes, supplements for weight loss”. Others are saying, “I would rather lose weight the natural way, eating right and getting my exercise”. I would have to agree with the second quote.
Just remember when using supplements, check them out first. I don’t like the side effects, that is why I don’t take them.
Remember, most of these supplements are still under research. Studies are being done and will come out as available. So be safe when taking. Don’t overdo it.
If you have any questions or would like to leave a comment, please do so below.
Once again, thank you for visiting me here at Losing Weight With Pat.